Submit an Application
Applications for The Tech Awards 2013 will open on November 1, 2012 and close May 1, 2013.
Before applying for The Tech Awards, and to ensure that your application will be accepted, please check our Criteria Page. Among other questions, you will be asked the following:
- Identify the technology application
- Explain how the technology application benefits humanity
- What iimapct has the technology had on the relevant problem in the field?
- What is the potential for this technology to be used to serve more people?
If applying to the Kathermine M. Swanson Young Innovator Award you, and your team mates must be under the age of 27 as of December 31, 2013. Please check the other criteria for this category.
The Tech Awards laureates are profoundly improving the human condition through the use of technology. It is the goal of The Tech Awards to showcase their compelling stories and reward their brilliant accomplishments.
Applications are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The technology application significantly improves the human condition in one of the 5 award areas: Environment, Education, Young Innovator, Health or Economic Development.
- A serious problem or challenge with global significance is addressed by this use of technology.
- The application of this technology, which may be either a new invention or an innovative use of an existing technology, makes a noteworthy contribution that surpasses previous or current solutions.
- The technology application has the potential to serve as an inspiration or model for further innovation.
- The technology application is in the field and has demonstrated a measurable benefit.
- An exception for the previous criteria is made for the The Katherine M. Swanson Young Innovator Award.
- Applicants may submit their application in one category only.
- The Tech Award laureates, including those named as category winners, are ineligible for The Tech Awards in the year immediately following the one in which they are honored, but may apply in subsequent years for technological innovations different from the one(s) for which they were already recognized.
- Individuals not recognized in a given year may reapply in subsequent year and – with continued progress and evidence of impact – are encouraged to do so.
- Applications must be submitted online in English.
- Laureates must commit to be present at all 2013 events related to The Tech Awards, from November 10-14, 2013 in San Jose, CA, USA.
- The purpose of awarding the $25,000 or $75,000 cash prizes is to contribute to solutions for the urgent challenges that The Tech Awards addresses. To promote the values of The Tech Awards program and sustain the high level of credibility of both the laureates and The Tech Awards program, The Tech Museum requires that highly-funded laureates designate another beneficiary as the recipient of the actual cash.
- Applications for The Tech Awards 2013 will open November 1, 2012 and close May 1, 2013.
Laureate Success Stories
During the application process you will be required to provide two references (e.g., business colleagues, professors, mentors, or members of the group applying). You can access the application system as many times as you need to in order to understand and answer the questions on the form. Applications are not complete unless both references are included.
Read our Criteria Page to understand how we select applicants and prospective laureates, and learn more about each of the awards Categories. To get a feel for who selects The Tech Awards laureates, read the profiles of some of the Judges.