As we prepare for another working week, it is important to think about the people we work with. The most important resource we have is our people. Losing a team member can set the company back in a way that cannot be quantified. Great companies aim to retain their staff. How do we retain our staff and mantain a motivated staff?
Amy Buckner Chowdhry knows about making people happy–AnswerLab, the company she co-founded, helps brands connect with customers by researching how people engage with websites. That’s made her something of an expert on connecting with people.
But Chowdhry doesn’t just use those people skills to help keep her clients satisfied; she also works hard to ensure that AnswerLab’s employees are happy, too. As a result, “we’ve seen extremely high retention of our employees,” says Chowdhry, who credits AnswerLab’s holistic focus on employee happiness with its high retention rate. Here are four ways to help your employees stick around for the long haul:
1. Think about their career. Employees want to know that they have a future at the company, so a focus on career is crucial. That said, creating a positive work environment is only a start. “[Our high rate of retention] has really come from the fact that we focus holistically on each employee in thinking about their relationship to the company,” Chowdhry says. In other words, focusing on career advancement is just the beginning of helping employees feel at home in a company.
2. Encourage learning. AnswerLab gives employees $400 to spend on a technology product of their choice. This perk does more than just make employees feel rewarded–it also benefits AnswerLab’s clients, albeit in an indirect way. “We’re a user experience firm and we want to be able to have our employees learn more about those experiences [with different technologies],” Chowdhry notes.
3. Promote wellness. A healthy employee is a happier, more productive employee. To that end, AnswerLab invests in keeping their staff feeling good. “We give every person in the company a Fitbit because we want them to get out of their chairs and out into the environment and walking and ensuring that they have a really healthy lifestyle,” Chowdhry says.
4. Help them give back. Connecting with the community at large is another way to help people feel that they’re a part of something bigger than themselves, so AnswerLab encourages its employees to donate their time and skills to worthy causes. “We’ve formed a committee entirely ran by the employees that enables them to decide how they’d like the company to give back to the broader community,” Chowdhry says.
Bona and Simba have been offered a honeymoon in Zimbabwe at Singita Pamushana. Take a look at what is on offer for the first daughter and her new husband. this is no shabby B and B. This is the place where Shakira spent a few nights before the world cup. The price-tag is enough to prove that this is no ordinary resort. As part of your stay at the beautiful Pamushana Lodge you can sleep out under the stars, with animals that might eat you if it weren’t for the rangers who stand watch through the night. Think of it as an extreme spectator sport – where you’re on show and the wildlife is watching you.
Singita Pamushana is a luxurious safari lodge set in the South Eastern corner of Zimbabwe in the Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve. This exclusive lodge sits high on a forested hill with magnificent views of the Malilangwe Dam and sandstone hills beyond.
- Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve is teeming with birds and wildlife, including rare and endangered species.
- The majestic baobab trees.
- With so few guests it is an intimate experience.
- Profit from commercial tourism goes towards the Malilangwe Trust, which feeds back into the community.
- It helps train the local people to run small businesses and reduce their reliance on illegal hunting.
2013 Zimbabwe’s Leading Safari Lodge
2012 Zimbabwe’s Leading Safari Lodge
2011 Zimbabwe’s Leading Safari Lodge
2010 Zimbabwe’s Leading Safari Lodge
2009 Zimbabwe’s Leading Safari Lodge
2008 Zimbabwe’s Leading Resort
2007 Zimbabwe’s Leading Resort
2007 Zimbabwe’s Leading Safari
From AU$920 a night for a luxury suite.
From AU$5590 for up to six guests in the five-bedroom luxury private retreat.
Prices include full board, drinks and open Land Cruiser safaris accompanied by experienced guides and trackers.
Choose between a luxury suite or a private retreat.
Singita Pamushana Lodge is located within the Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve, a 130,000 hectare private reserve in south-eastern Zimbabwe, just 200km from the South African border.
Federal Air offers a twice-weekly return flight to Buffalo Range Airport from Johannesburg’s O.R. Thambo International Airport on Mondays and Thursdays respectively.
Private air charters are able to fly into Buffalo Range Airport (a short 30km – 15 to 20 minute – drive from Pamushana Lodge), as well as Malilangwe’s private airstrip. They can be arranged with the lodge.
Gramercy Park Hotel
A: Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve, Zimbabwe
P: +27 (0)21 683 3424